Monday, June 1, 2009

kidisms

This is actually from last spring, but I never got around to posting it...
My five year old was very excited to show me some cocoons he found under a deck chair today. He told me that the ones with the holes in them are the ones where the butterflies already came out. "They go in, right?, and get dressed for a few days and them come out, right? The get dressed in their butterfly...you know...and then come out." he asks/explains.
I love that. I'll be so sad when my kids grow out of that. I used to be good about writing things like that down in a book, but since our move, I can't find it. Shocking. Anyway, I've been trying to file them away in my brain, but my brain needs an upgrade so the whole "filing away" thing isn't working so great. I figured I'd share some here and give my brain a break.
I bought some Forget-Me-Not flowers the other day at the local nursery for our yard. Very pretty little flowers. They look exactly like a flower you would draw when you were young - perfect little tear-drop petals in a periwinkle blue with a perfect pink dot in the center. They made me very happy, these little flowers, so I guess I talked about them on more than one occasion in my house (I do that often, sometimes to make sure that someone actually heard me speaking out loud, and sometimes because I can't remember if I actually said it out loud). So, about a week later, my oldest comes in the house with a small bouquet for me (so sweet, I know), saying, "Mom, these are for you! These are those Ignore-Me-Nots, right?" I made one of those noises moms make when their hearts melt just slightly because even though your kid got it wrong, they got it perfect. Know what I mean?
My youngest was with me the day I got those flowers (which, in case you were wondering, I didn't care if my kids picked for me because it turns out the people who lived here before liked just as much as I do because there is a field of them growing next to my house). The last time we were there he desperately wanted to go into the green houses, but they weren't open yet. He whined and cried and made a big pain in the neck of himself that day because he knew that the farmer and I had some kind of secret conspiracy going on to keep him out of those greenhouses. Some kind of big "no-five-year-old" fun going on in there - pony rides, cotton candy - Willy Wonka lived in there and I was keeping him out. So when the farmer told him that they'd be open when we came back to by outside flowers, the five year old did not forget. Of course, I thought he did because the next time we went he kept whining about wanting to go to the pharmacy. I was not quite sure what the sudden interest was in the pharmacy was about, and slightly embarrassed that my child was winding himself up for a melt down because I wouldn't take him to the store where we get medicine. While he has been know to enjoy his orange flavored Musinex, I hadn't noticed it had become a problem. "PLEEEEEEEASE can we go to the pharmacy NOW?? You promised we could go!! The farmer told you to come back!! Remember?!? I heard him!!" Now the lady in Burkenstocks is looking me over. One of the ladies that works there said she wished she could help him out, but "you'll have to talk to your mom about that one." Nice. Ten minutes and I'm now trying to loose him in the aisles of "flowering shrubs" - giving people that "I don't know who's kid he is - not mine" look. Weak smile. "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!", I finally manage to say through gritted teeth and a tight smile. "Why do you need to go to the pharmacy???!!!". He was talking about the greenhouse, and I'm sure you figured that out about twenty minutes faster than I did.
More favorites:
Dark Vader =Darth Vader
River Boy and Girl Fire = Shark Boy and Lava Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment